Fascinating Facts - Artichokes
- The artichoke is a perennial thistle that originated in the Mediterranean.
- The artichoke is technically a flower bud that has not yet bloomed.
- Artichokes are said to be aphrodisiacs.
- Baby artichokes are simply normal artichoke buds that grow lower on primary artichoke stalks.
- Artichokes are a significant source of vitamin C, folic acid and magnesium.
- Virtually fat-free, the artichoke weighs in at 25 calories (per medium artichoke) and is low in sodium.
- One artichoke plant can produce more than 20 artichokes per year.
- In 1947 Marilyn Monroe, then still going by her given name Norma Jean, was crowned Castroville's first Artichoke Queen.