- Nuts derive from 8% to 18% of their calories from protein.
- Almonds and Brazil nuts contain good amounts of calcium, and other nuts have at least a small quantity of this important mineral.
- Most nuts are also rich in potassium and relatively high in iron.
- The minerals magnesium, zinc, copper, and selenium are also well represented in nuts.
- Store nuts in a cool dry place or in the freezer for longer storage.
- Peanuts grow on a plant that flowers on top but the peanuts actually grow underground.
- Walnuts, pecans, chestnuts, almonds and other nuts all grow on trees just like the pictures below.
- If you are buying nuts in their shells look for shells with no cracks or holes. They should have no rattling noise if shaken.
- Sunflower kernels are a healthy addition to just about any recipe.