- 375g ready-rolled shortcrust pastry for 20cm pie
- 100g lean ham, sliced medium-thick and cut into small pieces
- 4 spring onions, sliced into rounds
- 2 eggs
- 150ml semi-skimmed milk
- 4 tbsp single or whipping cream (or use extra milk)
- 100g extra-mature Cheddar cheese, grated
Preheat the oven to 180°C Lift the roll of pastry over a 20cm flan tin and gently unroll it. Carefully press the pastry onto the base and sides of the tin. Trim the overhanging pastry with a sharp knife. Cover it with scrunched up foil and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for a further 5 minutes.
While the pastry is baking, mix the ham with the onions. Break the eggs into a wide jug with the milk and cream, or extra milk, and seasoning. Whisk lightly.
Sprinkle half the cheese over the base of the pastry case, then top with the onion and ham. Scatter the remaining cheese on top. Return the flan to the baking sheet and pour the egg mixture over the filling. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and just firm to the touch.
This easy quiche recipe uses ready-rolled shortcrust pastry that is baked first and then filled with tasty cheese, ham, cream and egg filling.