Fascinating Facts - Soybeans
- The soybean, also known as the soya bean, is a legume.
- One of the greatest health benefits of soya beans is the fact that they provide a “complete protein”. This is a protein which includes all of those amino acids which are essential in a human diet.
- Over the last century soya beans have mainly been processed for animal feed, as well as being used for their oils or to provide substance for a number of processed foods.
- Soybean oil is the most widely used vegetable oil. It is found in margarines, salad dressings, canned foods, sauces, bakery goods and processed fried foods.
- Soybeans grow in pods similar to peas.
- The United States grows half of the soybeans produced in the world.
- Tofu is to the soybean as cheese is to milk. Cheese is made when milk separates into curds and whey. Soybeans produce soymilk, which can also be separated into curds and whey. Tofu is the curd of soymilk. This is why you often see tofu described as “bean curd.”
- Soybeans are an important ingredient for the production of crayons. In fact, one acre of soybeans can produce 82,368 crayons. Soy crayons have been created to replace toxic petroleum-wax crayons. Soy crayons are safer to use, brighter in color, and less expensive to produce.
- Some of the better known soybean products include soymeal, soymilk, tofu, meat alternatives, tempeh, miso, soy sauce, soy cheese, soy cream cheese, soy flour, infant formula, biodiesel fuel and animal feed.