Pack A Healthy Picnic
Summer is picnic time! Here's what to pack in a healthy picnic lunch for your family.
- Sandwiches - Make sure to use whole grain or whole wheat bread. Fill the sandwich with healthy options: low fat cold cuts, low fat cheese, hummus, or a small amount of peanut butter. For a unique twist on a traditional sandwich, use a whole wheat tortilla to make a wrap instead.
- Fruit and Veggies and dip - Fruit and veggie slices are simple to prepare, and are easy to serve at a picnic with choices of dip. Low fat sour cream, hummus and tzatziki are all healthy dip choices for veggies, or try low fat yogurt for fruit.
- Dessert - Mix nuts, crunchy whole grain cereals, and dried fruits such as raisins, mangoes, cranberries, apricots and prunes, to add some sweet crunch to finish off your meal.
- Drinks - Water is the best choice. For kiddies you can dilute 100% fruit juice with water.
- Don’t forget the Picnic Basket Essentials: Blanket, ground cloth or tablecloth, large umbrella, large cooler bag, ice pack, serving utensils, bottle opener/corkscrew, wet wipes or hand sanitizer, forks, spoons, knives, cups, plates, napkins, paper towels and trash bags for clean-up, first aid kit: include bug spray, sunscreen and bandages.