Fascinating Facts - Kale
- Kale belongs to the same family as cabbage, Brussels sprouts, and collards.Types of kale are differentiated by color (green, white, purple, or bluish green) and leaf shape.
- Kale is low in calorie, high in fiber and has zero fat. One cup of kale has only 36 calories, 5 grams of fiber and 0 grams of fat.
- One cup of chopped kale has 134 percent of your recommended daily intake of vitamin C, while a medium orange fruit has 113 percent of the daily C requirement.
- Kale has 133 percent of a person's daily vitamin A requirement -- more than any other leafy green.Kale contains lutein, a type of carotenoid (an organic pigment) responsible for the plant’s color and nutrients. Lutein helps keep eyes and vision healthy.
- Kale is packed with antioxidants, which help neutralize harmful free radicals in the body.
- One cup of chopped raw kale provides more than 100% of the daily value of vitamins A, C, and K.
- Kale is a great detox food as it is filled with fiber and sulfur, both great for detoxifying your body and keeping your liver healthy.
- For the best flavor, kale must be harvested after the first frost. This ensures some of the starches are turned into sugars.