Fascinating Facts - Avodacos
- What we refer to as “avocado” is the fruit of the avocado tree, called Persea americana.
- It is often called “alligator pear,” which is very descriptive because it tends to be shaped like a pear and have green, bumpy skin… like an alligator.
- The yellow-green flesh inside the fruit is eaten, but the skin and seed are discarded.
- Avocados are very nutritious and contain a wide variety of nutrients, including 20 different vitamins and minerals.
- There are many kinds of avocados, and the shape (from pear-shaped to round) and color (from green to black) can vary between them.
- They can weigh anywhere from 220 grams to 1.4 kg.
- Avocado is the main ingredient in guacamole.
- Avocados do not contain any cholesterol or sodium, and are low in saturated fat.