Fascinating Facts - Cigarettes
- The American brands Marlboro, Kool, Camel and Kent own roughly 70% of the global cigarette market.
- In most countries around the world, the legal age for the purchase of tobacco products is now 18, raised from 16, while in Japan the age minimum is 20 years old
- Contrary to popular social belief, it is NOT illegal to smoke tobacco products at any age. Parents are within the law to allow minors to smoke, and minors are within the law to smoke tobacco products freely. However, the SALE of tobacco products is highly regulated with legal legislation.
- Cigarettes are the single-most traded item on the planet, with approximately 1 trillion being sold from country to country each year. At a global take of more than $400 billion, it’s one of the world’s largest industries.
- In 1970, President Nixon signed the law that placed warning labels on cigarettes and banned television advertisements for cigarettes.