Marie Claire's Asparagus Dish
- Asparagus (tinned or fresh)
- Sliced Ham
- 5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups nonfat milk, divided
- 2/3 cup grated low fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
If you are using fresh asparagus, boil them first until cooked. Roll a slice of ham around each aparagus and place in a flat ovenproof dish.
Whisk flour with 1/4 cup milk in a small bowl until smooth. Heat the remaining milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until steaming. Add the flour mixture and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce bubbles and thickens, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in Cheddar, dry mustard, paprika, cayenne (if using) and salt. Pour over the asparagus and place under the grill until the chees is nice and crispy. Serve.